David O. Freedman, M.D.
- Director, Gorgas Course in Tropical Medicine (1995-2015)
- Professor Emeritus of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Managing Senior Director, Shoreland Inc. (Provides clinical decision support tools for travel medicine practitioners in all practice settings) (1997-Present)
Areas of Special Interest
- All facets of Infectious Disease with emphasis on clinical tropical medicine parasitology, and travelers' health.
- Development of surveillance networks to characterize infectious disease morbidity in travelers and migrants.
Professional Recognition & Appointments
- Member Roster of Experts, International Health Regulations, World Health Organization
- Founded the University of Alabama’s Travelers Health Clinic in 1989
- Past-President, Clinical Group American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Past Secretary-Treasurer of the International Society of Travel Medicine
- Co-Editor of the Textbook of Travel Medicine, Editions 1-3
- Associate Editor, Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal
- Section Editor of the Journal of Travel Medicine
- Co-Founder and Director of the global GeoSentinel Surveillance Network
- Co-Author of the Clinical Practice Guidelines on Travel Medicine – Infectious Disease Society of America
- Former member of the VA Merit Review Infectious Diseases Study Section
- Past Chair of the Advisory Panel on Parasitic Diseases of the US Pharmacopeia
- Former Councilor of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Best Doctors in America list, American Health (2005-2019)
- 2010 Honor Award Recipient - National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases
Published 105 articles in peer reviewed journals including:
- Vaccines for International Travel. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. October 2019
- Tafenoquine and G6PD: a primer for clinicians. Journal of Travel Medicine - June 2019
- Updated Zika Virus Recommendations are Needed. The Lancet. August 2018.
- Surveillance report of Zika virus among Canadian travellers returning from the Americas. Canadian Medical Association Journal - March 2017
- Medical Considerations before International Travel. New England Journal of Medicine - July 2016
- McGill University (BSc Honors)
- University of Toronto (Medical School)
- McGill University and National Institutes of Health (Residency and Fellowship)
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases - Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases (Post-doctoral training)