Michael S. Saag, M.D.
- Associate Dean for Global Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2015-Present)
- Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham (1997-Present) Director of the Center for AIDS Research, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2004-Present)
- Editor in Chief - Cases on the Web, International Antiviral Society–USA (1997-Present)
Professional Recognitions & Appointments
- Jim Straley Chair in AIDS Research, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
- Founded - UAB’s 1917 Clinic, a comprehensive AIDS treatment and research center
- Chair of the Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines Panel and Metabolic Complications Guidelines Panel of the International Antiviral Society – USA, (2018, 2020)
- Founding Co-Chair, AASLD-IDSA Hepatitis C Guidelines (www.hcvguidelines.org)
- Elected member of the American Society of Clinical Investigation and Association of American Physicians
- Past Chair, American Board of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Subspecialty Board
- Past Board Member, IDSA
- Past Chairman, HIV Medicine Association of the IDSA
- Governor's Task Force on AIDS in Alabama
- Best Doctors in America list, American Health (1996-Present)
- Medical Researcher of the Year, AIDS Task Force of Alabama
- Recipient of Hadassah Myrtle Wreath Award (1996)
- Listed as one of the top ten cited HIV researchers by Science (1996)
- President's Award, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2011)
- Castle-Connolly National Physician of the Year Award for Clinical Excellence (2014)
- University of Louisville School of Medicine Alumnus of the Year (2018)
Over 450 articles in peer reviewed journals including:
- Saag MS, CA Benson, RT Gandhi, JF Hoy, RJ Landovitz, MJ Mugavero, PE Sax, DM Smith, MA Thompson, SP Buchbinder, C del Rio, JJ Eron, G Fatkenheur, HF Gunthard, J-M Molina, DM Jacobsen, PA Volberding. Antiretroviral drugs for treatment and prevention of HIV infection in adults – 2018 recommendations of the international antiviral society-USA panel. JAMA 320(4):379-396, 2018.
- Moore T, LM Dembry, MS Saag. Sunday in the park with infectious disease: workforce mismatch in a colorful universe of possibilities. J Infect Dis 216(Supp5):S581-S587, 2017.
- Drozd DR, MS Saag, AO Westfall, WC Mathews, R Haubrich, SL Boswell, SR Cole, D Porter, MM Kitahata, T Juday, L Rosenblatt; CFAR Network of Integrated Clinical Systems (CNICS). Comparative effectiveness of single versus multiple table antiretroviral therapy regimens in clinical HIV practice. Medicine (Baltimore) 96(14):e6275, 2017.
- Crane HM, P Paramsothy, DR Drozd, RM Nance, JA Delaney, SR Heckbert, MJ Budoff, GA Burkholder, JH Willig, MJ Mugavero, WC Mathews, PK Crane, RD Moore, JJ Eron, S Napravnik, PW Hunt, E Geng, P Hsue, C Rodriguez, I Peter, GS Barnes, J McReynolds, WB Lober, K Crothers, MJ Feinstein, C Grunfeld, MS Saag, MM Kitahata; Centers for AIDS Research Network of Integrated Clinical Systems (CNICS) Cohort. Types of myocardial infarction among human immunodefiency virus-infected individuals in the United States. JAMA Cardiol 2(3):260-267, 2017.
- Franco RA, ET Overton, AR Tamhane, JM Forsythe, JB Rodgers, JK Schexnayder, D Guthrie, S Thogaripally,A Zinsky, MS Saag, MJ Mugavero, HE Wang, JW Galbraith. Characterizing failure to establish Hepatitis C care of baby boomers diagnosed in the emergency department. Open Forum Infect Dis 3(4):ofw211
- Tulane University (BS)
- University of Louisville (Medical School)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (Fellowship & Residency)